Some 100,000 single trip cards for the MRT Jakarta were not returned by passengers during the first month of commercial operations in April.
Jakarta MRT corporate secretary Kamaluddin said many passengers wanted to keep the cards as souvenirs, something to remind them that they rode the country’s first MRT.
“Many passengers did not claim their ticket refund. But we still have enough new cards,” he said as quoted by tempo.co on Monday.
For the operation of the Jakarta MRT’s first phase, Kamaluddin said the company had prepared 490,000 single trip cards.
To purchase the card, passengers are required to pay Rp 15,000 (US$1.05) plus the actual ticket fare. The Rp 15,000 can be refunded if the passenger returns the card at the destination station.
“They can claim the refund no more than seven days after the card was used,” he added.
Kamaluddin went on to explain that at least 30 percent of all MRT passengers every day are single trip card users, while the other 70 percent use electronic money cards issued by various banks.
Throughout April, the MRT service carried around 82,000 passengers per day.
The company will increase its single trip card stock by 300-400 cards to anticipate an increase in passenger numbers in May.