Globe Telecom saw the blasting of emergency alerts on Sunday as crucial as SIM registration is set to end this week, with less than half of its subscribers registered.
A few days before the April 26 target cutoff, the telco company said in a statement Monday that it took advantage of the Free Mobile Disaster Alerts Act to “instill urgency” in its customers.
Globe explained that the Free Mobile Disaster Alerts Act allows the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) and other relevant government agencies to use the telco network system to blast warnings during disasters and emergencies.
It also noted that it received no objections from the NDRRMC.
“We are at a critical time as the deadline draws near, and we want to ensure that our customers are compliant with the law to avoid SIM deactivation. This way, they will continue to enjoy our call, text and data services for their day-to-day needs,” said Globe Group President and CEO Ernest Cu.
As of April 22, the firm recorded more than 35.8 million SIM registrations, way below the 86.7 million subscriber base.
Globe urged its customers to register before the deadline, while reiterating its call for the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) to extend the registration process.
The DICT has the power to extend the SIM registration for up to 120 days.
DICT Sec. Ivan Uy late last week said that the agency would meet with telco players and other stakeholders on Monday to discuss the possible SIM registration extension.
Data from the DICT showed that as of April 21, over 78.59 million SIM have been registered.
Source : CNN