The Philippine National Police (PNP) has confiscated three more guns of the driver who drew a handgun on a cyclist in a viral road rage incident, following the revocation of the motorist’s gun permits.
In a video posted on Monday, PNP Firearms and Explosives Office (FEO) chief Brig. Gen. Paul Kenneth Lucas said they revoked on Sunday the License To Own and Possess Firearm (LTOPF), Firearm Registration (FR), and Permit To Carry Firearms Outside Residence (PTCFOR) of the motorist, identified as Wilfredo Gonzales.
Gonzales drew his firearm, loaded it, and pointed it at an unarmed cyclist near Welcome Rotonda in Quezon City on Aug. 8, the PNP Civil Security Group said in a statement. A video of the incident went viral on Sunday.
“This morning, we confiscated the firearms under the name of Mr. Gonzales, which consist of four firearms three caliber 45 and one 9 millimeter pistol,” Lucas said.
Gonzales, who was seen driving a red sedan, said he had already settled the issue with the biker before the video went viral. He, however, did not disclose details of their agreement.
The PNP also confirmed that based on their records, Gonzales is a former police officer. He was dismissed in 2018.
The now-deleted video showed Gonzales confronting the cyclist who had bumped his vehicle, hitting the cyclist on the head, and drawing his handgun.
Gonzales said he “voluntarily” surrendered the gun to the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) on Aug. 8.
Lucas said the QCPD would turn over the gun to the FEO.
“As a reminder to all licensed citizens, it is of utmost importance to be responsible gun owners at all times…The possession and ownership of firearms are not absolute rights but rather a privilege,” the PNP said.
The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has issued a show cause order against Gonzales after his video went online, while LTO Chief Assistant Secretary Vigor Mendoza also ordered an investigation into the incident.
The LTO said its initial findings showed Gonzales was not the registered owner of the vehicle he was driving during the incident.
Gonzales and the car owner are to face the LTO on Aug. 31 to explain why they should not be facing complaints of Improper Person to Operate a Vehicle and Reckless Driving.
Quezon City mayor’s appeal
Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte is urging the cyclist to come forward and coordinate with the city government in filing necessary complaints.
In a statement, Belmonte said she also ordered the city’s People’s Law Enforcement Board to probe how the QCPD handled the case, expressing dismay on why the Galas Police Station allowed the incident to quickly in an amicable settlement.
“We are appealing to the complainant to come forward so that Willy Gonzale[s], whom I consider a menace to society, is held accountable,” she said.
Belmonte said the local government would extend legal assistance to the biker and they would put him and his family “in our protection,” stressing she would “not allow this case to be whitewashed.”
She also assured the biking community in Quezon City that “the city is willing to exhaust all means to demonstrate to them that we will act in their interest and in the pursuit of justice.”
“Should the biker come forward, the city is looking into filing possible complaints such as Grave Threat, Slander by Deed, Reckless Imprudence, Physical Injuries, Violations of Republic Act 10591 or absence of a License to Own and Possess a Firearm; absence of Permit to Carry,” the statement read.
The city government said it also has an ordinance that penalizes motorists obstructing bicycle lanes and walking paths.
Source : CNN